Boards & Commissions
The First Selectman is a salaried official elected specifically to that position, who oversees the day to day operation of the Town. Section 502 of the Town Charter states the First Selectman is the full-time, Chief Executive Officer and Chief Administrative officer of the Town. Said First Selectman is a full voting and participating member of the Board of Selectmen and presides when present at meetings of said board. The First Selectman is an ex-officio member of all other town boards, commissions, and agencies.
- He/She is the official head of the Town for all ceremonial purposes, for military purposes and for purposes of receiving civil process.
- He/She establishes and is responsible for the administrative and personnel policies for the town offices and employees subject to the approval of the Board of Selectmen. He/She executes or causes to be executed the town ordinances, regulations, resolutions and policies.
- He/She shall have responsibility for the care, maintenance and operation of all buildings, lands, apparatus and property which are subject to the control of the Board of Selectmen.
- With the approval of the Board of Selectman, he/she shall enter into contracts or agreements with government agencies, corporations and others subject to the limitations in the Charter.
- With the approval of the Board of Selectmen, he/she shall supervise the administration of the affairs of the Town, except those matters which, by Charter, or by ordinances are exclusively committed to the Board of Education or other boards or commissions.
- On matters requiring consistency and coordination across Town departments and their employees, the First Selectman has executive authority, in consultation with any respective board or commission, over Town employees for such matters.
Board of Selectmen
The selectmen superintend the concerns of the town, adjust and settle all claims against it and draw orders on the treasurer for their payment (Conn. Gen. Statute§7-12).
The Board of Selectmen have the power to appoint personnel and members of Boards and Commissions as provided for Chapters VI and VII of this Charter, and by the General Statutes. If the Board of Selectmen find that an emergency exists in the Town affecting public peace, health or safety, it shall be empowered to adopt regulations and ordinances stating the facts constituting the public emergency, which regulations shall become effective immediately. When the Board of Selectmen find that an emergency no longer exists, it shall so declare and terminate the state of emergency (Suffield Town Charter).
The First Selectman and four (4) Selectmen shall comprise the Board of Selectmen, and each shall be elected for a term of two (2) years, in accordance with the General Statutes (Suffield Town Charter).
No more than three of the Board of Selectmen shall be members of the same political party (Suffield Town Charter).
2018 Meeting Schedule
- January 3 (Canceled), 17
- February 7, 21
- March 7, 21
- April 4, 18
- May 2, 16
- June 20
- July 18
- August 15
- September 5, 26
- October 3, 17
- November 7, 21
- December 5, 19
Listing files in 'Board of Selectmen'
Melissa M. Mack
Nov 2015 - Nov 2019
Nov 2005 - Nov 2019
Nov 2009 - Nov 2019
Nov 2013 - Dec 2014
Nov 2015 - Nov 2019
Nov 2017 - Nov 2019